Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Great Migration of Style



This weekend, I took a late night flight from Charlotte to New York to attend an internship fair in Manhattan. While not particularly looking forward to the traffic, the hustle of the subways, or the crowded streets, I was looking forward to seeing the infamous New York style.


I was sixteen when I made my first trip to New York. It was the dead of winter and everyone, fashionably of course, bundled under layers of clothes. Colorful scarves, sleek coats, snazzy boots, and spiffy hats. Yep, New Yorkers had style. I returned to New York five years later, this time in fall, and witnessed that same style. Before my trip this weekend, it had been four years since I'd visited New York, and my eyes were starving for that New York flare.


Unfortunately, I left New York still hungry. This time around it wasn't like before. The New Yorkers were merely dressed, leaving their "impress" at home. There was no flare. No umph! The clothes just hung on the people as they walked. Nothing colorful,nothing sleek, nothing snazzy, nothing spiffy. Maybe I just expected too much. Or maybe I'd seen similar style in other places here in the South such as Atlanta, DC, or Charlotte. Yeah, that's it. I'd seen style in other places. It no longer has only one residence.




So in a few years, naturally, the remakes of "Sex and the City", "The Devil Wears Prada", and "Confessions of a Shopaholic" will be filmed below the Mason Dixie Line,The valid style, particular that of the South, swag as many call it, is evidence that fashion forwardness is no longer exclusive to New York. As many people have left the world's capital for new and smaller places, it seems that style has migrated as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment