Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One Way to Lower A Doctor's Bill






Last year, he was able to knock $1,000 off the $4,000 price of his daughter's birth simply by asking the hospital, obstetrician, anesthesiologist and pediatrician to each reduce their bills by 25 percent if he paid the bill in full over the phone.



"It seems the medical establishment is so used to getting stiffed by patients who either declare bankruptcy or just flat-out refuse to pay, that they'll give up one in the bush for three in the hand," Mr. Villarreal wrote in his book.
What was his exact script? Here it is.


"Hey, my friend told me that if I offer to pay the bill in full over the phone, I get a 25 percent discount." And the response he generally received was "O.K." "It was the same conversation with the doctors as it was with the hospital. There was no negotiation whatsoever. Just standard procedure," Mr. Villarreal said by e-mail.


I think I'm going to adopt Mr. Villarreal's approach when I feel a medical bill is inflated. Asking for a discount in this way over the phone seems less embarrassing and confrontational than asking the doctor in person for a discount. I have to admit I've done that successfully in the past, but now I feel slightly awkward about visiting those doctors again. No wonder other tips for haggling with a doctor also similarly recommend offering to pay a discounted amount immediately or upfront.


Still, as I discussed in this recent Bucks post about punishing doctors who make you wait, whether your doctor's office will be allowed to offer you a discount generally depends on the insurance policy and the practice's philosophy, among other variables.



"Secrets of a Stingy Scoundrel: 100 Dirty Little Money-Grubbing Secrets," Consumerist.com's contributing editor Phil Villarreal

No comments:

Post a Comment